Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Found: Fellow TTP Survivor

So- on the same vein of my body SUCKS- there was an interesting article in the Post this past week. A woman who was a pretty well known basketball player in the area was diagnosed with none other than Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura or for those who are a bit tongue tied, TTP. Read the article http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/24/AR2007012402268.html

Most of you know that this is the disease that I have that has effectively ended the extension of our family. I was diagnosed when pregnant with D and relapsed when he was 18 months old. A series of blood tests have shown that although I am in remission and not symptomatic, that the disease is still hanging out in my body. This means that I need to be "very aware" of what is going on with my body, say the doctors. If I sneeze, here come the antibiotics!

I have had a lot of time to come to grips with all the why bad stuff happens to good people thing, I mean maybe I am not as good as I think I am :)...still, it was pretty emotional to read the woman's story. Anway, I called her because I thought it would be nice to meet someone else with TTP and guess what? she e-mailed me today and wants to talk. It turns out that she was treated by my doctor and my nurses. I am really excited about the prospect of having someone else who deals with the same level of body betrayal to commisserate with :)

Since I am such a chatterbox, talking about it is always healing. Living with the fear of knowing that I may have already met my match, and although I have won some battles, I will never win the war, is one more challenge I endure. I hate when people say all that "whatever doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"...I do NOT need to be any stronger..I like myself just as I am. Still, it keeps life exciting...and maybe holds the threads for a new friendship.

No comments: